Saturday, 27 February 2016

Yes Minister, let's privatize the health service



Because you know that it makes economic sense; because you can run it on a shoestring and thereby ensuring that it never works. Call me biased, which of us isn’t?
Recently, I had my aging father admitted to hospital with dementia-related issues. It took approximately eight hours, from the moment he was wheeled into the emergency services ward, until he was assigned a bed in the ‘real’ wards.
During the first night of dad’s adventure in the ward he managed to clamber out of bed and cause himself further injury (apparently, the family of the patient is expected to provide 24-hour surveillance in order to prevent incidents of this type). The injury resulted in him having to have several stitches on his forehead, and subsequent treatment to his now hemorrhaging private parts caused by him removing the catheter.
Apparently, the hospital had failed to administer dad’s medication (including a tranquilizer), which would have prevented his ‘great escape’ antics, and the subsequent injuries. By default, my immediate response was to have him removed from the hospital ‘yesterday’. Having had him signed out, I was then informed that I should get dad to a clinic, pronto, or he’d probably die (to cut a long story short), due to the hemorrhaging…
Dear reader, is it necessary for me to add that no-one on duty had bothered to inform me of this, prior to the ‘check-out’ procedure?
Having been addressed by several of the medical staff, in a manner that I wouldn’t employ with my 3-year old grandson, I was then advised to have dad re-submitted as he was no longer in the database.
With my tail between my legs I graciously accepted their kindness, i.e. the opportunity to save dad’s life, and proceeded to jump through several hoops while doing so.
Two days later, the hospital staff acknowledged and ‘ensured’ that dad’s medication would now be administered…
Dear reader, this is probably one incident of many which occur in various health establishments across the island and I’m not professing that mine is any more critical than the next man’s, it is just an illustration of the pain and misery to which innocent citizens are being subjected to by those to whom we completely surrender our trust, expecting our loved ones to be treated with humanity and dignity.
Those charged with leading, in any sector, have to remember that organizations comprise of people, both those who deliver the service and those who receive the service.
Dear Minister, lose that focus and we’ve lost everything…

No comments: